Founded in 1912, the San Francisco Municipal Railway (Muni) is one of America's oldest public transit agencies and today carries over 200 million riders per year. Muni provides transit service within the city and county of San Francisco 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Operating Historic streetcars, modern light rail vehicles, diesel buses, alternative fuel vehicles, electric trolley coaches and the world famous cable cars, Muni's fleet is among the most diverse in the world.
If you're new to the Muni system, you might want to begin with new riders info.
Muni service is provided by the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA). The SFMTA manages transportation in San Francisco, California.
There are 19 Transit Centers that serve SFMTA.
Transit Accessibility Services
- Muni Metro vehicles are accessible at all stations and at selected stops. Information on Muni Metro accessibility is available.
- Most Muni bus lines are accessible, but not all. Information on bus accessibility is available.
- Historic streetcars are accessible at most stops, but not all. Information on historic streetcar accessibility is available.
- Cable cars are not wheelchair-accessible.
Complete accessibility information for Muni can be found on the Muni website.
RTC Regional Discount Card
RTC Processing Location
Customer Services: SFMTA Customer Service Center (MUNI), 11 South Van Ness, San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: (415) 646-2224; TTY (415) 701-4730
Applications accepted Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Note: Before visiting a transit agency office, call to verify hours of operation and payment options.
TTY Users: You can contact any telephone number through the California Relay Service at 711.
AllNighter Service Routes
- K-Ingleside Owl (Bus) (Service is Currently Suspended)
- L-Taraval Owl (Bus)
- M-Ocean View Owl (Bus) (Service is Currently Suspended)
- N-Judah Owl (Bus)
- T-Third Street Owl (Bus) (Service is Currently Suspended)
- 5-Fulton (Service is Currently Suspended)
- 25-Treasure Island
- 48-Quintara/24th Street (Service is Currently Suspended)
- 90-Owl (Fort Mason-Visitacion Valley)
- 91-Owl (SF State-West Portal)
511 Phone Service
From the Main Menu, use a shortcut to go directly to SFMTA by saying: "Muni"
From inside the Transit Agency menu, you can say any of the following agencies. If you want to use the touch-tone options, press the number "12" for SFMTA.
From inside the Paratransit Agency menu, you can say any of the following agencies. If you want to use the touch-tone options, press the number "16" for San Francisco Paratransit.
Clipper is currently accepted on Muni, BART, AC Transit, VTA, SamTrans, Caltrain and Golden Gate Transit and Ferry, and will eventually be accepted on all forms of Bay Area public transit. For information on using Clipper, please visit https://www.clippercard.com/ClipperWeb/muni/index.do