Leaving the Bay Area

Taking transit out of the region.

Please see the links below for out of region transit:

Traveling by car.

If you're heading to Sacramento and want to check current travel conditions, call 511 and say "Sacramento 511" for a free transfer to the Sacramento and Northern California 511 system. Once you're out of the nine-county Bay Area, you'll be able to dial 511 and be immediately connected to Sacramento 511. You can also get a free transfer from Sacramento 511 to the Bay Area 511 system upon your return home. For 511 systems elsewhere in California, see below.

If you'd like to check conditions for I-80 to Lake Tahoe, please call the Caltrans highway information number: 1-800-427-7623.

511 in adjoining regions and throughout the U.S.

On July 21, 2000 the Federal Communications Commission designated "511" as the single traveler information telephone number in the U.S. There are currently more than forty 511 services with more cities and states planning to launch a service. Please see the links below for other 511 services.

In California:

Elsewhere in the U.S.:

^ Back to top