What are my options?
- Option 1 — Allow employees to exclude their transit or vanpool costs from taxable income, to the maximum amount, as allowed by federal law (currently $270 per month).
- Option 2 — Employer-provided transit or vanpool subsidy (or transit pass) which covers the monthly cost of the employee's commute (up to $75 per month).
- Option 3 — Employer-provided free or low cost bus, shuttle or vanpool service operated by or for the employer.
- Option 4 — An alternative employer-provided commuter benefit that is as effective as in reducing single occupant vehicles as Options 1-3.
View Option 4 Guide
Employer Services Representatives are available in each county to provide free assistance. Please click on the following link based on your employer location or call 511 and say "Commuter Benefits."
Contra Costa County
San Francisco County
San Francisco Department of the Environment
- For San Francisco employers with 20 or more employees nationwide please visit the SF Environment: San Francisco Commuter Benefits Ordinance page.
- For Employers with 50 or more full-time employees in the San Francisco Bay Area, please contact:
511 Commuter Benefits Specialist
Dial 511 and say “Commuter Benefits”
Santa Clara County
The Bay Area Commuter Benefits Program is a partnership of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, managing employer outreach for the Program, and the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, developer of Regulation 14, Rule 1: Bay Area Commuter Benefits Program and managing compliance for the Program.