Carpooling offers you the comfort of a car ride, the efficiency of carpool lanes, free travel in express lanes, and shared commute costs. Find your match today through the 511 Ridematch Service, the Casual Carpool network or a ride-match app, and join the community.
COVID-19 Carpool Safety Tips
The safest measure in the COVID-19 environment is to stay home when possible, in accordance with public health directives. To help protect you and your carpool partner in the event you choose to carpool, the Bay Area Carpool Program gathered the following information from public health sources. For complete and accurate information on how to protect yourself in the COVID-19 environment visit the CDC website.
- Limit one rider per carpool, for a total of 2 occupants to allow for maximum distancing between driver and rider, or limit carpool size to no more than one passenger per row of seats
- The passenger should sit in the back right-side seat for maximum distancing between driver and rider, or if you have multiple rows of seats, sit diagonally from each other for maximum distancing.
- Wear a cloth mask that covers your nose and mouth and request your carpool partner wear one as well.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands or while wearing gloves.
- Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer that contains at least 70% isopropanol.
- Clean and disinfect vehicle surfaces between carpools: door handles (inside and out), steering wheel, armrests, seatbelt/seatbelt buckles, seats, and knobs (including climate control, radio, glove box, etc.).
- If possible, keep the windows open when traveling to increase airflow.
- Stay home if you have any one of the identified symptoms.
- Find a consistent carpool partner to limit the number of people with whom you interact, . The 511 Ridematch Service is ideal for identifying an ongoing carpool partner.
- Avoid physical contact with other passengers when entering and exiting and vehicle and maintain distance inside the vehicle.
511 RideMatch Service
The best way to find a long-term carpool partner is with the RMS. You will be matched with someone along your route, agree on days to carpool, and keep that same partner as long as you like. There are no built-in charges to use the service or carpool. Register here.
Waze Carpool Rider
Users coordinate their own carpools by selecting from available drivers. Download Waze Carpool and use promo code 511WAZE. Enter promo code by clicking the “Settings” gear icon in the upper right of the screen, then scroll down to and click “Payment Method”.
Waze Carpool Driver
The popular navigation app allows drivers to offer carpools to riders. First, click “Carpool” in the bottom right of your screen to access and fill out a driver carpool profile. Then, use promo code 511WAZE. Enter promo code by clicking the “Settings” gear icon in the upper right of the screen and scroll down to “Payments”.
Automated matching ideal for morning and evening work commutes. Download Scoop and use promo code SCOOPME05. Enter promo code by clicking “Account”, then “Pricing & Payments”, and then select Payments from the menu in the upper right of the screen.
Carpool to BART for Easier BART Parking
Carpoolers can verify their carpool occupancy and park in reserved BART parking spaced with either the BART App or a paper permit issued by 511, depending on the station. Click here for more information.