Free and Discounted Tolls
Express Lanes START℠ is a trial program that offers low-income drivers at least 50% off all tolled trips in the I-880 Express Lanes. To apply, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bay Area Express Lanes have sections where access into or out of the lane is restricted (separated with double white lines) and sections where it is unrestricted (separated with a dashed white line).
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) performs enforcement for all Bay Area Express Lanes. CHP enforces all laws within the California Vehicle Code while patrolling Bay Area Express Lanes, including:
- Carpool occupancy requirements
- Clean air vehicle requirements
- Proper mounting of valid license plates
- Illegal lane and buffer crossing
- Proper mounting of a valid FasTrak® toll tag
- Proper switch position setting on a FasTrak Flex® toll tag
License plate cameras identify vehicles in the express lane without a valid FasTrak® toll tag. The registered vehicle owner receives a violation notice for the toll amount plus a $10 penalty. If unpaid, a second notice is sent and an additional $20 penalty is assessed.