Voice Recognition System
511 uses a state-of-the-art voice-recognition system to guide you through the menu options. Sometimes the system might have a difficult time recognizing your request due to one of the following reasons:
- You are saying something that the system is not programmed to recognize at that particular menu. For example, if you say, “Traffic Conditions” in the Public Transportation menu, the system will not recognize your request. You need to go back to the Main Menu and say, “Traffic Conditions” there.
- While we have made every attempt to ensure that 511 is usable by as many people as possible, the system might be having difficulty understanding your voice.
- There could be background noise or poor cellular phone reception that prevents the system from recognizing your request.
- Using a headset or speakerphone may also prevent the system from understanding you in some environments.
Please speak as clearly as possible and try to minimize any background noise.
Touch Tone System
If this is still unsuccessful, 511 also offers a touchtone system that you can use. Just press *8 and the system will list the options with a corresponding number to press. To get out of touchtone only mode, just press *8 again. Once you’ve learned the touch-tones, however, there is no need to press *8 to hear the list of choices; just enter your selection.
If 511 gives you information for an incorrect menu option while in touchtone mode, press *13 and you can go back to make your selection again. To hear something again, you can press *12, and for additional help, press *14. You can always press *6 to start over at the main menu.
Talk With a Live Operator
511 connects you to live operators for transportation services throughout the region.
There is no need to remember multiple phone numbers – just call 511 for a free transfer, and say:
- "Transit Agencies," and then the public transportation agency of your choice to speak directly to an operator at that agency
- "Clipper" to connect to the Clipper customer service center
- "FasTrak" to connect to the FasTrak customer service center
- "Freeway Assist" for non-emergency freeway assistance
Please note that operator hours may vary.