Get FasTrak to use the Bay Area Express Lanes!
ALL drivers must have FasTrak. Carpools must have FasTrak Flex and eligible Clean Air Vehicles need FasTrak CAV toll tags.
Before you start driving set your toll tag to the number of people in the car. Carpools and eligible Clean Air Vehicles get free or discounted tolls.
What You Need To Know
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) performs enforcement for all Bay Area Express Lanes. CHP enforces all laws within the California Vehicle Code while patrolling Bay Area Express Lanes, including:
- Carpool occupancy requirements
- Clean air vehicle requirements
- Proper mounting of valid license plates
- Illegal lane and buffer crossing
- Proper mounting of a valid FasTrak® toll tag
- Proper switch position setting on a FasTrak Flex® toll tag
Express lanes have automated toll enforcement like at Bay Area bridges*. License plate cameras identify vehicles in the express lane without a valid FasTrak® toll tag, and FasTrak sends the registered vehicle owners violation notices for the toll amount and penalties. This helps to make sure express lane users follow the rules.