The San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, on Interstate 80, crosses the San Francisco Bay and connects San Francisco and Alameda counties It is made up of two bridge segments: a skyway structure/single anchored suspension bridge between Oakland and Yerba Buena Island for vehicles with a protected bicycle and pedestrian pathway, and a suspension span from the island to San Francisco for vehicular traffic.
Through summer 2022, access to Treasure Island via the Bay Bridge Eastern Span will be reduced due to ongoing construction work. Visit our Bay Bridge Trail page for additional information.
See more Bay Bridge facts on the Metropolitan Transportation Commission website.
The Bay Area Toll Authority (BATA) collects tolls on the seven state-owned toll bridges in the Bay Area. All seven of the Bay Area’s state owned bridges have permanently transition to all-electronic tolling. You can use either FasTrak to pay your toll, or set up a License Plate Account. Automated, high-speed cameras will capture images of customers’ license plates, and the FasTrak customer service center will process the images and then mail an invoice each month to the address at which the vehicle is registered with the DMV. For more information about FasTrak or setting up a License Plate Account, visit bayareafastrak.org or call 877-BAY-TOLL.
Bridge Toll: Westbound on I-80
- FasTrak: $7.00
- License Plate Account: $7.00
- One-Time Payment: $7.00
- Invoice: $7.00
- When: All Days, All Hours
Carpool Discount Toll*
- MON-FRI, 5:00AM - 10:00AM and 3:00PM - 7:00PM
*In order to qualify for the carpool rate, you must meet the carpool occupancy requirements, use designated carpool lanes and pay the toll with FasTrak.
Carpool Discount Requirements
- FasTrak Required
- 3+ persons per vehicle
- 2 persons in 2 seater OK
- Motorcycles permitted
- ILEVs permitted
Carpool Discount Toll Passage
- Discounted toll lanes on the far left and far right sides of the toll plaza.
- Lane Diagram
- Additional Information
Bicycle and Pedestrian Access
- Limited Pedestrian Accessible
- Limited Bicycle Accessible
- AC Transit
- San Francisco Bay Ferry
The Eastern Span Bay Bridge Trail is now open. There is currently no bicycle and pedestrian access across the entire Bay Bridge; however, you can take your bike on transit or use the Caltrans Bike Shuttle to cross the Bay. Starting October 13th, access to Treasure Island via the Bay Bridge Eastern Span will be reduced due to ongoing construction work. Please, click here for more information.
- All of AC Transit's Transbay Services, with the exception of the M, U, and MA lines, provide services across the Bay Bridge. For more information about taking your bike on AC Transit, visit their Bikes on Buses page.
- BART permits bicycles on trains. Take a look at BART's bicycle rules for additional information.
- Caltrans shuttles provide a total of 14 trips across the Bay Bridge during peak commute periods. Click here for a Caltrans bus shuttle schedule and additional information. For questions or lost and found information, call 510-286-6954.