Renew or Replace an RTC Card

Applications for the RTC Discount ID Card are accepted at San Francisco Bay Area transit agency locations and forwarded to a central processing office, where application information is verified. Qualified applicants are then mailed the new RTC card.

Renewing a Card

If you applied for the RTC Discount card using a DMV placard (blue), have a permanent disability or provided a Medicare card as proof of eligibility, you will receive a renewal notice two months prior to the expiration date on your card at the address on file with RTC. It is your responsibility to ensure that the transit agency has your current address. If you do not receive a mail reminder, call your transit agency and request a renewal application.  Other “non-permanent” cardholders must complete the application process each time their card expires.

If you are a Senior who has been using an RTC card, you will be asked to apply for a Senior Clipper card when your RTC card expires.

Effective for new and renewal RTC cards issued starting January 1, 2020:  If you have a “P” (indicating permanent disability) on your card and you applied for the card using the Medical Certification form, you do not need to renew your card. You will be given the opportunity to update your contact information and photo every five years. 


If you do not receive a mail reminder,

  1. Download the Renewal Application (PDF).
    Or, you may call your transit agency and request a renewal application.
  2. Mail your completed application to the RTC Central Processor (address below) with a $3 personal or cashier’s check. (Do not send cash)
    RTC Central Processor

    P.O. Box 70040
    Oakland CA 94612-0040

Or you may bring your completed application and $3 fee to your transit agency.

Additional Information

  • placard.jpg

    For those using DMV Disabled Parking Placards

    Your renewal application cannot be processed until your new DMV Placard number is submitted and verified.

    • If applying in person, bring the DMV Placard registration issued by the DMV with you.
    • If applying by mail, send a photocopy of the receipt with your application.

Replacing Lost or Stolen Cards

First, check with your local transit agency to see if the card has been returned. If so, you may reclaim your old card at no cost.

If not, download the Lost Card Application (PDF). You can have the transit agency mail you the form, or you may go to your nearest transit office to fill one out and pay the $5 fee.

You can also mail the application or a written request for a replacement directly to:

Central Processor
P.O. Box 70040
Oakland CA 94612-0040

Be sure to include your name (as it appears on your card), card identification number (if you have it), date of birth and current address with a written request. You must include the $5 payment in the form of a personal or cashier’s check. Do not send cash.

You will receive a replacement card by mail within 7-10 days. We are not able to issue a temporary card in the interim.

Be sure to take good care of your RTC Discount ID Card! We will only replace your card up to three (3) times within a 12-month period at a cost of $5.00 for each time. You will not be issued another card within that period. However, if you feel that your disability is such that you are prone to losing personal items, you may submit a “Disability Justification” form for additional replacements. This form can be requested at the time of your 4th replacement application. Your doctor must complete this form and mail it directly to the Central Processor.

You will also be charged the $5 replacement fee if the card is damaged due to poor care.

Have more questions? View our RTC FAQs

^ Back to top